Make your presence felt

You can leave your comment or read what other KU fans have to say by clicking 'Comments' at the end of each article.

Friday, February 8, 2008

Adjusted Game Score formula in works

I'm still working on the formula you've seen me use before to come up with the Clay Player Rankings. I expect to have it perfected in a few days or weeks. Today I did a single game analysis using Wednesday's men's game at ESU. In my recap article yesterday I chose Dave Ben as the Most Valuable Golden Bear of the game (not too hard of a decision) and Jeremy Coombs as my least valuable. After plugging in the numbers today, it appears that I was pretty close to being right on the money. Take a look:

1. Ben 84.4
2. Dennis 40.7
3. Woodlin 39.9
4. Washington 25.2
5. Edwards 22.9
6. Coffey 8.6
7. Bower 3.4
8. Nemetz 0.0
9. Connolly 0.0
10. Coombs -6.4
11. Hafera -7.6

The higher score is obviously the better one. If your score is positive, you made a positive impact on the game and if your score is negative, you made a negative impact on the game. A score of 0.0 would mean that you either made no impact (good or bad) on the outcome of the game or that your good and bad plays completely offset each other.
The 84.4 points by Dave Ben is a very good score, while the 40.7 from Dennis is certainly an excellent showing.

I use a bunch of different factors in my formula, which sometimes brings me to some interesting information. For example:

On a given trip down the court, there was a:
23% chance a 2 point bucket would be made
21% chance a 2 point attempt would be missed
6% chance a 3 point bucket would be made
9% chance a 3 point attempt would be missed
15% chance a free throw would be shot and made
10% chance a free throw would be shot and missed
16% chance of a turnover

No comments: